After the earthquake of April 2016, Bishop Lorenzo Voltolini requested a community of Servant Priests and Brothers of the Home of the Mother for the community of Río Chico. The families in the area were seriously affected by the earthquake and had no parish priest to minister to them. In view of this spiritual need, the Servants took possession of the parish of Río Chico and its communities, of more than 17,000 parishioners, in July of 2016.
During the first months after the foundation, the Servant Brothers and Priest lived in great poverty. Their only means of transportation were their bicycles. They demonstrated their great love for souls which originated from true love for God. Only for love of the Lord were they able to totally forget about their own needs in order to serve the people who had been entrusted to them.
After gaining their people’s trust, they had to set up an important project: the reconstruction of the parish church. The church had been severely damaged by the earthquake and it was necessary to build a new one. Thanks to the help received from various benefactors and from GMHM, big steps are being taken, although the project is not yet finished.
We need your help!
- Floor tiles
- Electrical installations and lighting
- Acquisition of 140 pews
Apostolic activity of the Servant Brothers and Priests of the Home of the Mother:
• Pastoral care of the sixteen towns entrusted to them: celebration of the Eucharist, confessions, catechism, administration of sacraments, visits to the sick, etc.
• Pastoral care of two schools: Holy Family Educational Center of Playa Prieta and Mother Maura Montoya Educational Center.
• Pastoral care of the Penitentiary Center located in the Rodeo. They have seen young people turn away from the great weight of sin and experience the joy of forgiveness.
• Apostolate with young people.