Reconstruction of the School in Playa Prieta
Holy Family Educational Center
Holy Family Educational Center is a primary and secondary school in Playa Prieta, Ecuador, directed by the Servant Sisters of the Home of the Mother. On April 16, after a week of intense flooding in Playa Prieta, a terrible earthquake devastated the country. The main building of the school, which also included the Servant Sisters’ house, collapsed altogether. One sister and five postulants lost their lives. (Click here for more information.)
The earthquake has reduced the main school building and everything inside to rubble. Here is a list of the damaged areas:
- On the ground floor: the Student Chapel, the administration office, and the woodshop classroom
- On the first floor: the computer lab and the sewing workshop
- On the second floor: the residence for the Sisters and postulants
- On the third floor: the residence for volunteers who come to help
The rest of the buildings have been demolished because they were in very dangerous conditions.
The project for the reconstruction of the school will take place in two main phases:
1. Construction of bamboo classrooms.
2. Permanent construction of the school, which will include a library, auditorium, computer lab, chapel, the Sisters' house, and a house for volunteers.
Little by little, we are moving along in the construction of our school’s installations. If you want to know more about the current state of the school, click the latest news article below.
Please continue to help us so we can finish rebuilding our school!